The mission of the Young Men of Destiny is to take young men between 12 years old and High School Graduates, from every nationality, background and culture, and show them how to have a productive, creative and successful future. To show them that they are "somebody", and that their lives matter. To teach them how to respect themselves and others, and change the system for the better.
START SOMETHING AND BECOME A YOUNG MAN'S MENTOR TODAY!
1. Provide positive male leadership and adult male role models for young men between 12 years old and hIgh School Graduates.
2. Teach leadership skills.
3. Develop relationships with forward thinking, upwardly mobile individuals (male and female) in the community.
4. Learn and develop respect for self and others.
5. Develop decision making skills and techniques.
6. Avoid drug abuse.
7. Develop financial responsibility.
8. Create a life-skills plan.
9. Develop self-presentation skills.
10. Ultimately for mentors and mentees to develop a closer relationship of trust with each other and a deeper committment to wholesome living.
Being A Role Model
Drug Abuse Prevention
How to Speak With Purpose
Life Plans, Dreams and Aspirations
Principles to Live By
Recreation and Exercise
Respect for Authority
Responsibility and Accountability
Stay Out of Jail
The Good and Bad of Sex
And Much More!
The mentors meet weekly with the Mentees for approximately 13 weeks during each Spring and Fall semester. At the end of the semester, YMOD invites parents/guardians, friends and relatives to joins us for our Closing Ceremony, during which certificates of completion and special awards from there respective Mentors. The young graduates get the opportunity to demonstrate before the audience some of the lessons learned and a few may give brief testimonials of their experiences with the program. Pictures taken of the Mentees during the program are on display for the enjoyment of their family and friends. Those Mentees who are still within the age range are encouraged to re-enlist, and their friends are encouraged to enroll as well.